Sunday, May 6, 2007

Quotes from a hilltop

I am a voracious reader.

I want to list a couple of quotes from a book I recently read by Stephanie Grace Whitson:

"Storytellers are usually eloquent speakers. He is one of the best. When he finishes I realize that the greatest story he has ever told required no eloquence at all. Simple words--sin, debt, paid, cross, faith."

"The story is that Michelangelo was asked how he could look at a block of stone and get out from it such a wondrous thing as the 'David'. The master shrugged his shoulders and said, 'It is easy. I just knock off what doesn't look like David.' I think it is in the letter to Rome that Paul writes of God determining to make us look like Christ. The phrase, I believe, is, 'conformed to the image of his Son,' and I am thinking that would be good . . . for me . . . to be loving and wise as was Christ. And then I realize, that is what is happening since I believed. God knocks off what doesn't look like Christ. Of course, for God to make [me] look like Christ is much more difficult than for Michelangelo to form marble into a beautiful man. For human transformations, it takes the whole of life . . . and sometimes it hurts [ . . .]"

No comments:

Post a Comment